Saturday, July 16, 2011

A very sad day....

Tuesday, July 12th, will go down in my book as one of the saddest days of my life to date.  Next to God, my husband, parents, children and friends, my pets are the most precious blessings I have been bestowed.  Some people feel their pets are just animals - small, insignificant beings that move in and out of our life without alot of impact or value.  That is just so not true in my life.  Every pet I've ever had has had a special place in my heart and will always be a part of me. 

Thirteen years ago, my husband and I brought home a cute blonde bundle of energy whom we named Heidi.  Heidi was part of a litter that had been dumped at a vet's office.  The litter was part Sharpei and part Jack Russell terrier (yeah....figure that one out! LOL).  She had the Sharpei wrinkles and the Jack Russell personality and stole her way into our hearts.  Part of the reason we decided to bring home a puppy was because our youngest, Tink, who was 7 when we got married, was terrified of dogs.  She would literally climb up your torso and scream at the top of her lungs if a dog got anywhere near her.  She'd been bitten twice as a toddler, once in the face by a Chow, and has the scar above her nose to prove it.  So Heidi was to be therapy for Tink - a tiny puppy who established trust in dogs in one very scared little girl.  Heidi loved to tussle and growl and play rough with MedicMan, me and our oldest daughter.  But when Tink came in the room to play, she became very gentle.  Tink could lay down and rest her head on Heidi, hug her, tug her ears, do just about anything, and Heidi was never anything more than gentle. 

One of Heidi's greatest loves was to play ball - she would chase a tennis ball for as long as you would throw one.  She was one of the best goalie's I've ever seen - and I've been to a Stanley Cup game 7!  You couldn't get one by her.  She loved her People, and worried if someone was missing.  It was a difficult adjustment when our oldest moved into her own home.  When Tink moved to Disney to work, Heidi looked for her for days. 

We knew for about the past year that Heidi was slowing down.  She'd turned white in the face, and getting up and down off of the bed became a thing of the past.  In the recent weeks, just getting up from the floor was painful for her, and we could tell that her joints were giving out because she didn't like to stand in one place and would weave and sway from one foot to the other.  Her kidneys were shutting down and she was having kidney stones and continence issues.  Heidi's spirit was still strong, but her body was tired.

So, on Tuesday, July 12th, we made the decision that every pet owner dreads making, and we let Heidi go.  She went peacefully and quietly, and took a huge chunk of our hearts with her.

I believe there are animals in heaven - nothing in the bible disputes that.  There is a great book that I recently read, called "Heaven is for Real" written by Todd Burpo about his son, who spent three minutes in heaven during a health crisis.  In heaven, Colton Burpo sees horses and other animals.  So, in my belief, I will see my Heidi-girl again.  Until then, she runs on puppy legs, chasing tennis balls, and patiently waits for her People to join her.



As always,
Live life and laugh often -
Mama Shutta' Bug

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute! I have tears in my eyes and can hardly see what I'm typing. I know you will miss her dearly! She was a great dog! I like how she always wanted me to scratch her backend for her! Hugs to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to call our greyhounds our kids ..this was bc (before children). Having to let go one of your kids is the hardest thing to do. I be believe that my kids are in Heaven waiting on us. In the meantime I know they are keeping granddaddy company. {{{Hugs}}} my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful tribute to such a beautiful soul. I hope I meet Heidi someday too.
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete